Suggested Items to Bring
General items to bring to Tibetan Settlements in South India
- Several photocopies of your Protected Area Permit (PAP) – You must keep a copy of your PAP with you at all times while in Tibetan Settlements, in case the local authorities ask to see it.
- Several photocopies of your passport (identity page and Indian visa page)
- Several passport-size photos
- Flashlight/torch (for power outages)
- Sunhat or sunscreen
Suggested items to bring if attending teachings
- FM radio with earphones (to hear the translation of the teachings)
- Relevant texts
- Cushion/mat for sitting on the ground; your own stool or chair if required
- Drinking water
- Tea cup (tea is often provided during teaching events)
- Given the security checks that take place if you are attending teachings with His Holiness Dalai Lama, it’s advisable to bring as little as possible to the teaching venue.
The following items are usually not allowed inside teaching venues:
- Mobile/cell phone
- Please note: if your FM radio contains a camera or phone, it will usually not be allowed inside.
- Cigarette lighter or matches
- Dangerous items such as pocket knives