“The stages of training after having taken refuge – The actual precepts – Common precepts for all three objects of refuge:
1) Remembering the differences and positive qualities of the Three Jewels and, due to that, taking refuge in them again and again
2) Remembering their great kindness and, due to that, exerting yourself at all times to make offerings to them and offering them even the first portion of your food and drink
3) Remembering their great compassion and, due to that, establishing other migrating beings in such a mode of behavior
4) Whatever you do and whatever you need, worshipping the Three Jewels, supplicating them, and abandoning all other worldly methods
5) Aware of the benefits, taking refuge three times a day and three times at night
6) Not giving up the Three Jewels even for the sake of your life or a laugh and guarding against this”
From Textual Outline for the Medium Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment by Trijang Rinpoche, as published in OUTLINE of Middle Length Lam-Rim with Trijang Rinpoche’s Additional Outlines by Lama Tsongkhapa (and Trijang Rinpoche). Translated by Philip Quarcoo. Unpublished DRAFT translation (May 2012) by FPMT, Inc. Download the PDF here.